2015 PALS PROVIDER MANUAL:
The American Heart Association requires ALL students to bring the 2015 PALS Provider Manual to class. There are NO EXCEPTIONS. You may purchase the book online at Defibthis.com when you register for the class or stop in to our student store and pick it up. You can also purchase the hard copy at http://aha.channing-bete.com and Amazon.com, or the less expensive ebook at https://ebooks.heart.org.
It is acknowledged that the manuals are very expensive. They are an AHA requirement that allows us to provide you with a valid AHA card at the end of your course. We encourage you to shop around for the best value. You may also ask your friends, put it out on Facebook, or go to your hospital's medical library as they often have copies on hand for just this occasion!
You should prepare for the course as follows:
- Precourse Preparation Checklist: Complete the precourse checklist that came with your 2015 PALS Provider Manual and bring to class.
- BLS Competency: Be prepared to pass the Skills Tests for 1-Rescuer and 2-Rescuer Child and Infant BLS with AED. You will not be taught how to do CPR or how to use an AED during the course. You must know this in advance. The resuscitation scenarios require that your BLS skills and knowledge are current. Review and understand all 2015 BLS guidelines, especially as they relate to pediatric patients. You may find this information in the BLS Provider Manual.
- Mandatory Precourse Self-Assessment: Complete the Precourse Self-Assessment, print out your score and bring it with you to the PALS Course. This test consists of 3 sections: ECG rhythm identification, Pharmacology, and Practical Application. Use this assessment to identify areas where you need to increase your knowledge.
- PALS Algorithms and Flowcharts: Be familiar with the PALS algorithms and flowcharts so that you can apply them to clinical scenarios. Note that the PALS Course does not present the details of each algorithm.
- Supplement Your Knowledge: Review and understand the information in the PALS Provider Manual and on the Precourse Assessment. Pay particular attention to the Systematic Approach to Pediatric Assessment, the Evaluate-Identify-Intervene Model, and the Management of Respiratory and Circulatory Abnormalities.
What This Course Does NOT Cover
The PALS Provider Course does not teach CPR, ECG Rhythm Identification, PALS Pharmacology or Algorithms. If you do not review BLS and if you do not learn and understand the ECG and Pharmacology information in the Precourse Self-Assessment, it is unlikely that you can successfully complete the PALS Provider Course. You will not be taught how to read or interpret ECG rhythm strips in the course, nor will you be taught details about PALS pharmacology. You must know this in advance.
MANDATORY PRECOURSE ASSESSMENT:
You are required to bring a print-out of your Precourse Assessment Completion to class. To access the Precourse Assessment, go to www.heart.org/eccstudent and type in the following code: pals15
Per the Terms and Conditions on the course registration page:
Late Policy: Please be on time: It’s good karma! We ask all students to arrive 15 minutes prior to class. If you are more than 15 minutes late to class you will have to reschedule. You will not be permitted to attend the class in session and are considered a "No-Show." There are no refunds.
Rescheduling Policy: You may reschedule one time with no penalties as long as you give us 48 hours notice. If you ask to reschedule more than once, the rescheduling fee is $15. If you reschedule with less than 48 hours notice, the rescheduling fee is one-half the course fee. There are no refunds.
No-Show Policy: Failure to appear in class or day-of-class notice will result in forfeiture of your entire course fee. There are no refunds.
Cancellation Policy: If you cancel your course, you forfeit the entire course fee. We do not give any refunds. However, if applicable per above, we will keep your payment on file for 2 years, and you may use it toward any course or product that we offer within the 2-year timeframe.
CONTINUED EDUCATION UNITS:
We are a CE Provider for the BRN & EMS. Due to an increase in CA state administration costs we have been forced to charge $2.00 for each continuing education hour starting May 2013. The purchase of continuing education hours corresponding to your course can be made at the time of course completion.
Please note, BLS is NOT included in this course! If you need to be certified for BLS, you can either sign up for a BLS Provider course or take the BLS Challenge to renew your certification. In order to be eligible to take the BLS Challenge upon the completion of this course, your current BLS card cannot be expired. If you register for the BLS Challenge, please bring your current BLS card to the front desk upon check-in.